CALLISTO - Wildlife and Nature Conservation Society
Constantinos Godes - co-founder
123 Mitropoleos st., 54621 Thessaloniki
Civil Society & NGOs, Environment & NRM
CALLISTO is an Environmental NGO (a civil, not-for-profit society), which was founded in Thessaloniki, Greece, in July 2004.
Main activities of CALLISTO include:
▪ Conservation of biodiversity and of areas of high natural and aesthetic value, with emphasis on mountainous ecosystems and forests in Greece, the Balkans and other neighbouring countries.
▪ Study, conservation and management of wild fauna populations, especially of large carnivores (bear, wolf, lynx, jackal) that inhabit the above areas.
▪ Elaboration and implementation of projects for the protection and management of wildlife and the natural environment.
▪ Information, awareness raising, and activation of the public for imposing control on the decision-making centres regarding environmental issues.
▪ Development of environmental education and training programs.
▪ Development of voluntarism to serve conservation actions.
▪ Support for the establishment and operation of Protected Areas and Ecological Networks, in order to preserve biodiversity, as well as the natural and cultural heritage.
▪ Development of scientific research and its applications as well as building national, trans-Balkan and international cooperation and networking for the above purposes.